- Training: All Research Labs, Teaching Labs, and other Technical Facilities
need to provide appropriate training for new personnel. Particular attention should
be given to safety and procedures for handling Regulated Hazardous Materials (RHM).
Lab Directors and Managers (e.g., PI's, Shop Foreman, Teaching Lab Manager) are
responsible for ensuring that this training is delivered in a timely manner and that
it is appropriate to the particulars of the Lab or Facility. At a minimum, this
training should include a review of relevant University Policy
(http://ehs.virginia.edu/ehs/ehs.polproc.html) published by the Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S).
- Annual Retraining: All personnel who use RHM (Regulated Hazardous Materials) must receive annual retraining.
Currently, that retraining is delivered by EH&S via their web site
- Student RHM Disposition: As a requirement for graduation, all students
must properly dispose of or completely label any Regulated Hazardous Materials (RHM)
that they have generated and their advisor must provide a written affirmation to that effect.
- Flammables Storage Lockers: It is recommended that storage lockers
containing flammable materials be clearly labeled.
- Emergency Contact List: All Research Labs, Teaching Labs, and other
Technical Facilities need to have a list of emergency contacts (including work
and home phone numbers) clearly posted on or beside the door.
- Machine Shop Training: Machine Shop personnel will teach a course
stressing safe use of the equipment in the Student Shop. All personnel who wish
to use the Student Shop must take the Student Shop Course or provide documentation
that they have had equivalent training. The Machine Shop Foreman has the final
say in who may use the Student Shop and may revoke that privilege at any time for
any unsafe or inappropriate use of the facility.
- "Buddy System": No one should perform any operation alone where a credible
risk of debilitating personal injury exists. This includes common laboratory
hazards such as working on energized power supplies or mixing dangerous chemicals.
- Optical Tables: The Department will pay to have riggers move large
optical tables between rooms.
For more information, please contact the Physics Department’s Director of Laboratories,
Rick Marshall, at (434)924-3080, in room 103B, or at rmm5a@Virginia.EDU.