Ph.D., 1996, Johns Hopkins
Commonwealth Professor of Physics
Experimental Condensed Matter Physics
My research focuses on strongly correlated materials such as non-conventional high temperature superconductors, quantum magnets, frustrated spin systems, magnetic molecules, and multiferroics. The main experimental techniques that the group uses are elastic and inelastic neutron scattering with which one can directly probe the many body response function. Neutron scattering experiments are performed at several domestic and international facilities. My group also has the in-house capability of growing high quality single crystals of transition metal oxides using a state-of-the-art image furnace. Recently, my group is also working to understand the physics of new solar cell perovskites.
When I am not doing research, I enjoy practicing Ashtanga yoga, cooking, reading, and writing essay.
Courtesy appointment at the East Asia Center: http://eastasiacenter.as.virginia.edu/faculty
Google Scholar Website: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=DvAH1AEAAAAJ
Conversation as a panelist with Ambassador of the Republic of Korea Lee Soo-Hyuck on September 17, 2020. In this video, my conversation with him starts at 58:10.
Symposia on Korea organized:
2. KINU-UVA Symposium on Korea held in March 2019: https://millercenter.org/news-events/events/end-korean-war-peace-peninsula
1. UVA Symposium on Korea held in September 2018: https://politics.virginia.edu/symposiumonkorea/
Special Course: PAVS 4500-005, Science and Politics [Spring]
- "Origin of vertical orientation in two-dimensional metal halide perovskites and its effect on photovoltaic performance", Alexander Z. Chen, Michelle Shiu, Jennifer H. Ma, Matthew R. Alpert, Depei Zhang, Benjamin J. Foley, Detlef-M. Smilgies, Seung-Hun Lee & Joshua J. Choi, Nature Communications 9, 1336 (2018).
- "Scaling of memories and crossover in glassy magnets", A. M. Samarakoon, M. Takahashi, D. Zhang, J. Yang, N. Katayama, R. Sinclair, H. D. Zhou, S. O. Diallo, G. Ehlers, D. A. Tennant, S. Wakimoto, K. Yamada, G-W. Chern, T. J. Sato, S.-H. Lee, Scientific Reports 7, 12053 (2017).
- "Origin of long lifetime of band-edge charge carriers in organic–inorganic lead iodide perovskites", T. Chen, W.-L. Chen, B. J. Foley, J. Lee, J.P.C. Ruff, J.Y.P. Ko, C.M. Brown, L. W. Harriger, D. Zhang, C. Park, M. Yoon, Y.-M. Chang, J.J. Choi, and S.-H. Lee, Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences 114, 7519-7524 (2017).
- "Entropy Driven Structural Transition and Kinetic Trapping in Formamidinium Lead Iodide Perovskite", T. Chen, B. J. Foley, C. Park, C. M. Brown, L. L. Harriger, J. Lee, J. Ruff, M. Yoon, J. J. Choi, and S.-H. Lee, Science Advances 2, e1601650 (2016).
- "Aging, memory and nonhierachical energy landscape of spin jam", A. Samarakoon, T. J. Sato, T. Chen, G-W. Chern, J. Yang, I. Klich, R. Sinclair, H. Zhou, and S.-H. Lee, Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences 113, 11806-11810 (2016).
- "Orbital Glass State of the Nearly Metallic Spinel Cobalt Vanadate”, R. Koborinai, S. E. Dissanayake, M. Reehuis, M. Matsuda, T. Kajita, H. Kuwahara, S.-H. Lee, and T. Katsufuji, Phys. Rev. Lett. 116, 037201 (2016).
- “Rotational dynamics of organic cations in the CH3NH3PbI3 perovskite”, T. Chen, B. J. Foley, B. Ipek, M. Tyagi, J. R. D. Copley, C. M. Brown, J. J. Choi and S.-H. Lee, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 17, 31278-31286 (2015).
- “Spin jam induced by quantum fluctuations in a frustrated magnet”, Junjie Yang, Anjana Samarakoon, Sachith Dissanayake, Hiroaki Ueda, Israel Klich, Kazuki Iida, Daniel Pajerowski, Nicholas P. Butch, Q. Huang, John R. D. Copley, and Seung-Hun Lee, Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences 112, 11519-11523 (2015).
- “Glassiness and exotic entropy scaling induced by quantum fluctuations in a disorder-free frustrated magnet”, I. Klich, S.-H. Lee, and K. Iida, Nature Communications 5, 3497 (2014).
- “Coexisting order and disorder hidden in a quasi-two-dimensional frustrated magnet”, K. Iida, S.-H. Lee, and S-W. Cheong, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 217207 (2012).
- “Magnetic excitations in the low-temperature ferroelectric phase of multiferroic YMn2O5 using inelastic neutron scattering”, J.- H. Kim, M. A. van der Vegte, A. Scaramucci, S. Artyukhin, J.- H. Chung, S. Park, S- W. Cheong, M. Mostovoy, and S.- H. Lee, Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 097401 (2011).
- “Inelastic neutron scattering study of the magnetic fluctuations in Sr2RuO4”, K. Iida, M. Kofu, N. Katayama, J. Lee, R. Kajimoto, Y. Inamura, M. Nakamura, M. Arai, Y. Yoshida, M. Fujita, K. Yamada, and S.- H. Lee, Phys. Rev. B 84, 060402 (2011).
- “Ferromagnetically coupled Shastry-Sutherland quantum spin singlets in (CuCl)LaNb2O7”, C. Tassel et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 167205 (2010).
- “Zero-doping state and electron-hole asymmetry in an ambipolar cuprate”, K. Segawa et al., Nature Physics, 6, 579-583 (2010)
- “Universal magnetic structure of the half-magnetization phase in Cr- based spinels”, M. Matsuda et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 047201 (2010)
- “Spin-lattice order in frustrated ZnCr2O4”, S. Ji et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 037201 (2009)
- “Magnetic field-induced phase transitions in a weakly coupled s = ½ quantum spin dimer system Ba3Cr2O8”, M. Kofu et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 177204 (2009)
- “Hidden quantum gap state in the static stripe phase of La2-xSrxCuO4”, M. Kofu et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 047001 (2009)
- “Weakly coupled s = ½ quantum spin singlets in Ba3Cr2O8”, M. Kofu et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 037206 (2009)
- “External magnetic field effects on a distorted kagome antiferromagnet”, J.-H. Kim et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 107201 (2008)
- “Quantum spin liquid states in the two dimensional kagome antiferromagnets, ZnxCu4-x(OD)6Cl2”, S.-H. Lee et al., Nature Materials 6, 853 (2007)
- “Spin-lattice instability to a fractional magnetization state in the spinel HgCr2O4”, M. Matsuda et al., Nature Physics 3, 397 (2007)
- “Statics and dynamics of incommensurate spin order in a geometrically frustrated antiferromagnet CdCr2O4”, J.-H. Chung et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 247204 (2005)
- “Orbital and spin chains in ZnV2O4”, S.-H. Lee et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 156407 (2004)
- “Emergent excitations in a geometrically frustrated magnet”, S.-H. Lee et al., Nature 418, 856 (2002)